What To Do If You Are In a Car Accident

Call the police. The police officer will ask you how the accident. Ask the police officer to get the names and addresses of any witnesses. If the police office does not get the names and addresses of witnesses, then you should do so.

Unless you are absolutely certain that your body did not suffer any trauma in the accident do not tell the police officer, or the other driver, that you are not injured. Sometimes being jostled or whiplashed can cause an injury that doesn’t appear until after the shock of the accident wears off. We have seen many cases where significant injuries do not appear until a few days after the accident. This is not unusual especially to injuries of the back or spine. Tell the police officer you will see how you feel once the shock of the car accident wears off. If you tell the police officer you are not injured it will appear in the police report and the insurance company will hold that against you later.

Most police agencies will give the drivers the name, addresses and insurance contact information of all drivers. Ask the police officer for a copy of the police report number. Get photographs before the vehicles are moved. Get photographs of the damage to your vehicle and the other vehicle. Call us immediately we can assist you in making an application for no-fault benefits and pursuing a personal injury case if appropriate. An application for no-fault benefits must be submitted within thirty (30) days of the date of the accident or the no-fault coverage may be denied.

By Stephen Pusatier | Published October 30, 2015 | Posted in Personal Injury | Tagged car accident, personal injury lawsuit